High-Precision 192 kHz 2-Channel AD/DA converter
The ADI-2 FS is a compact and extremely flexible 2-Channel Hi-End AD/DA-converter. The small 9.5" unit offers first-class AD/DA-conversion from/to SPDIF, AES and ADAT, at up to 192 kHz. Its ability to use SPDIF, AES and ADAT format provides outstanding compatibility. Whatever it is - simply get connected!
Connectivity and Features
Balanced analog inputs and outputs, monitoring via headphone output, SteadyClock FS for optimal conversion quality, 3-stage hardware input and output level control and the additional modes D-D and A-A turn the ADI-2 FS into a universal tool and a flexible problem-solver. Its pro-class sound qualifies it also as extension for other premium converters.
The ADI-2 FS is equipped with two servo-balanced analog line inputs via XLR/phones combo jacks, simultaneously usable balanced XLR and unbalanced phone jacks, an adjustable High Power headphone output on the front, an ADAT compatible optical SPDIF I/O, and a coaxial SPDIF I/O (RCA, AES/EBU compatible). These extensive connectivity options provide most flexible and uncompromised signal transmission.
The analog inputs use the advanced circuit design of the highly acclaimed ADI-2 Pro, thus offering outstandingly low noise and distortion as well as an extended frequency response. Three different settings for input and output levels provide perfect compatibility in the analog domain. A further highlight is SteadyClock FS, RMEs latest clock technology for maximum jitter suppression and lowest self-jitter. It guarantees superb sound quality completely independent from the quality of the current reference clock. The ADI-2 FS also uses the conversion technology of the ADI-2 Pro: the AK557x family and the AK4490 not only offer 192 kHz sampling frequency and lowest distortion, but also a dynamic range of 120 dBA.
But the ADI-2 has more to offer than tremendous sound. It also provides exciting digital connectivity. Its coaxial RCA SPDIF I/O has a switchable Channel Status to make it fully AES/EBU compatible (cable adapter required). The optical TOSLINK I/Os can handle up to 192 kHz and also serve as ADAT I/O, even at 192 kHz. An operation with SPDIF input and ADAT output or vice versa is supported, in both AD/DA and D-D mode.
The clear layout and distinct labeling of the front panel with its functional buttons, the informative status display, a 6 LED level meter as well as the tidy back panel make it easy to operate the unit right out of the box.
With input selection set to DIG the device works as a digital format converter with simultaneous monitoring. The AD converter is disabled, the DA converter still used for monitoring the digital input signal, at the rear outputs and the headphone output. A format conversion is possible between all options - SPDIF coaxial (or AES) with Professional or Consumer Status, as well as ADAT.
The output selection ANA connects the analog output circuitry directly to the analog input circuitry. The DA converter is no longer active. The AD converter continues to convert the analog input signal to SPDIF (AES) or ADAT, with the outputs SPDIF coaxial and ADAT optical simultaneously available. This 'analog bypass' allows the ADI-2 FS to be used as an analog preamp. Gain and attenuation can be achieved via the level adjustment of input and output, or even fully variable when the VOL potentiometer is inserted. In this mode, the ADI-2 FS supports analog levels up to +28 dBu balanced and +21 dBu unbalanced. In addition, it can work as a converter balanced to unbalanced and vice versa.
The front panel knob adjusts the volume of the headphone output. It can also be inserted into the rear signal path via a simple key combination, so that the rear line outputs can be steplessly adjusted in level as the phones output. The choice of three hardware levels stays available, thus allows for a better matching of the desired levels on front and rear outputs.
High Power Headphone Output
The ADI-2 FS uses a more powerful version of the proven High Power headphone outputs found in many RME interfaces. With a doubled power of 0.45 watts per channel, 0.1 ohm output impedance, a maximum output level of +19 dBu and very low output noise, the new generation of the High Power circuitry is universally applicable, from IEM to Planar. A relay ensures click-free on and off switching.
Power is supplied via an included, external switching power supply with lockable connector. Thanks to a wide operating voltage range of 9 - 15 volts, the ADI-2 FS can be easily used with battery or rechargeable battery, thus also for mobile use. It is also fully suitable for e.g. a galvanic isolation in the laboratory or measuring applications.
- External Power Supply (NTCB-EU)
- Line Cord for Power supply (NETZ-CB)
- Car Cable for CardBus (AUTOK)
- Cable for Storage Battery (AKKUK)
- Input AD: 1/4" TRS jack and XLR via Neutrik combo jacks, servo-balanced, completely symmetrical signal path
- Output AD: ADAT optical or SPDIF optical, SPDIF coaxial (AES/EBU compatible)
- Input DA: ADAT optical or SPDIF optical, SPDIF coaxial (AES/EBU compatible)
- Output DA: 1/4" TRS jack (unbalanced) and XLR (balanced)
- Input and Output level switchable: +19 dBu, +13 dBu, +4 dBu @ 0 dBFS
- Sample rate internally: 32, 44.1, 48, 64, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 128, 176.4, 192 kHz
- Sample rate externally: 28 kHz - 200 kHz
- Dynamic range AD: 117 dB RMS unweighted, 120 dBA
- Frequency response @ 44.1 kHz, -0.1 dB: 1 Hz – 20.5 kHz Frequency response @ 96 kHz, -0.5 dB: 1 Hz – 45.5 kHz
- Frequency response @ 192 kHz, -1 dB: 1 Hz – 92.7 kHz
- THD @ -1 dBFS: -116 dB, 0.00016 % THD+N @ -1 dBFS: -112 dB, 0.00025 %
- Crosstalk AD: > 110 dB
- Dynamic range DA: 117 dB RMS unweighted, 120 dBA
- Frequency response @ 44.1 kHz, -0.1 dB: 1 Hz – 20.2 kHz Frequency response @ 96 kHz, -0.5 dB: 1 Hz – 44.9 kHz
- Frequency response @ 192 kHz, -1 dB: 1 Hz – 88 kHz
- THD @ -1 dBFS: -112 dB, 0.00025 % THD+N @ -1 dBFS: -110 dB, 0.00032 %
- Crosstalk DA: > 120 dB
- Output level at 0 dBFS, 300 Ohm: +19 dBu
- Output impedance: 0.1 Ohm
- Output power @ 32 Ohm: 450 mW
- Maximum input level +28 dBu bal, +21 dBu unbal
- Maximum output level +28 dBu bal, +21 dBu unbal
- Maximum dynamic range: 120 dB RMS unweighted, 120 dB(A)
- Frequency response -0,1 dB: 1 Hz – 100 kHz THD: < -120 dB, 0.0001 %
- Accepted power supply voltage DC 9 V - 15 V
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 215 x 44 x 130 mm (8.5" x 1.73" x 5.1")
- Warranty: 2 years